Audits of 401(k) Plans: New Developments and Critical Issues
Tuesday, June 28, 2022
One of the most favored employee benefit plans, the 401(k) plan, provides unique challenges for auditors. Also, as many 401(k) plan administrators opt for ERISA Section 103(A)(3)(c) audits, audits of 401(k) plans will be significantly impacted by the now-effective SAS 136, the AICPA's new employee benefit plan auditing standard.
Through this course, auditors will obtain an understanding of the rules and regulations unique to employee benefit plans and obtain practical guidance on applying them. Auditors will enhance their knowledge of the performance and reporting requirements of SAS 136 through real world examples, best practices and efficient audit techniques that can be utilized in various audit engagements. Make sure your audits don't trigger a DOL inspection by conforming to all applicable rules and regulations.
- Identify the key provisions of SAS 136
- Properly document your understanding of the plan, the environment and internal controls for an employee benefit plan
- Understand the importance of reading, reviewing, and documenting the controls in a Service Organization Control Report
- Identify potential audit triggers that may result in an inspection by the Department of Labor
- Understand the risks associated with a benefit plan audit engagement
- Avoid common mistakes noted during peer reviews
- Learn how to properly plan your benefit plan audit engagement and develop an audit strategy while improving overall efficiency
- Find out how to avoid common pitfalls in planning and detailed audit procedures
- Annual update of the changes affecting 401(k) plans, including implementing SAS 136
- Description of common mistakes as noted in peer reviews and DOL inspections