Surgent's Top 50 Mistakes Practitioners Make and How to Fix Them: Individual Tax and Financial Planning (INBB)
Wednesday, January 29, 2020 – Friday, April 30, 2021
The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray; the same is true for taxpayers and practitioners. Every practitioner has been confronted with a client who had a different twist on a tax idea. This course focuses on the law in order to break down 50 situations in which practitioners need to be sharp. The study of the law underlying the tax areas will assist practitioners in satisfying their professional standards of practice and will help you in preparing Form 1040.
- Achieve significant insight into the major mistakes that can be made in individual tax and financial planning
- Develop strategies that will assist in not only avoiding mistakes but also in providing the best advice to your clients
- Individual income tax cases regarding income, adjustments, passive activities, and itemized deductions
- What all is hidden in that Form 1098?
- Don’t get caught watching the paint dry -- the IRS “Future State” Initiative
- Does aggregating passive activities also aggregate “At-Risk”?
- Utilizing ABLE programs; soon could be open to millions more taxpayers
- Amending returns more than 25 years old, yes, for certain veterans
- When “gifts” can be taxable
- Deducting legal fees post-TCJA
- Why are manhole covers round?
- Chained CPI Index, Elderly CPI index, one or the other, and Social Security
- Hazy situation: Two seemingly similar cases, yet one results in ordinary tax treatment, the other capital treatment (Heads they win, tails we lose)
- When a “rollover” is not a rollover, the Claim of Right Doctrine
- What are the risks with non-traditional IRA investments
- I want to protect my identity, but I also need to protect my PTIN
- Failing alimony’s requirements and the last word is not always the best word
- Failing to understand the limits on 401(k) loans
- Passive income and the self-charged rent rules
- Meal allowances for police or fire workers on 24-hour shifts
- Financial planning: Ignoring the future of Social Security; miscues in rollovers & retirement plan distributions; the bad, the good, and the ugly of early retirement SEPPs
- Things professionals do not like to hear!