Surgent's Employer's Handbook: Legal, Tax, and Health Care Issues (HTOF)
Wednesday, May 1, 2019 – Thursday, April 30, 2020
8CREDITSBusiness Law, Taxes
The employer-employee relationship strains both sides in uncertain times, and businesses need CPAs, controllers, and other advisors to provide understanding of the complex legal, tax, and health care issues associated with all aspects of employment, especially now. This course provides in-depth coverage of this critical area. Updated and supplemented throughout the year for breaking developments.
- Identify the legal issues in hiring, evaluating, and firing employees
- Discuss federal laws that curtail an employer in taking actions involving employees and applicants
- Understand the requirements that fringe benefits and compensation programs place on employers
- Hiring and firing issues – What questions cannot be asked in an interview; how to document employee performance; establishing an annual review system; when an employer may and may not fire an employee, and much more
- Employment contracts – An analysis of the legal and planning issues in structuring employment contracts; when noncompetition agreements will and will not work
- Employment issues in the economy – Telecommuters and other special situations
- Legal liability issues – Recognition of age discrimination, sex discrimination, FLSA issues, minimum wage, overtime, sexual harassment, and more
- Fringe benefit issues – COBRA, Family and Medical Leave Act, and what is new in health care
- Medical plans: who is a full-time employee?