Ethics: Ex-Felon Controller Shares His Journey to CPA
Wednesday, August 14, 2019
2CREDITSBehavioral Ethics (not DE Ethics)
Not yet a CPA, Mike left a small CPA firm to become the controller of a private company that manufactured supplements. Concerned about the sales practices, he thought his accounting methods were harmless fixes to the company's growing pains - but the judge disagreed. The fraud was so outrageous that it was featured on CNBC's hit show "American Greed."
Learn all about his story through this interview conducted by Gary Zeune, CPA MAcct.
This event may be a rebroadcast of a live event and the instructor will be available to answer your questions during the event.
NOTE FOR OHIO CPAS: The Accountancy Board of Ohio has approved this course for 2 hours of credit towards the required professional standards to renew your CPA license. It does NOT qualify for new licenses. Gary Zeune is an approved ethics instructor at www.acc.ohio.gov/CPE/PSR.aspx
At the conclusion you will understand that there are things more important than ethics to some people and you will learn the consequences of their decisions.
- Why he accepted assurances that everything was okay
- How he rationalized his actions and felt he wasn't doing anything illegal
- Why he cooked the books
- Why he plead guilty to a $100 million fraud
- What it's like to be sentenced to a year and a day
- What prison is like for a CPA
- Why and how he started his own CPA firm