Surgent's Understanding FLSA Compliance (OVR3)
Friday, December 7, 2018
The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) establishes minimum wage, overtime pay, recordkeeping, and child labor standards affecting full-time and part-time workers in the private sector and in federal, state, and local governments. Exemptions from both minimum wage and overtime pay include executive, administrative, and professional employees (including teachers and academic administrative personnel in elementary and secondary schools), outside sales employees, and employees in certain computer-related occupations. This program is a survey of the highlights of the FLSA.
- Understand the distinctions between exempt vs. non-exempt employees
- Know the categories of and requirements for exempt employees
- Understand proper compensation methods, employee classifications, and timekeeping and recordkeeping practice
- Overview of the FLSA
- Who is covered by the FLSA?
- Independent contractors versus employees
- FLSA timekeeping and recordkeeping requirements
- Different types of compensable/non-compensable time