S Corporations: How to Calculate the Owner's Basis in S Corporation Stock
Monday, April 15, 2019
A detailed analysis of the calculations related to determining an S shareholder's tax basis for S corporation shares using the Form 1120S, Schedule K-1 information. An illustrative example will demonstrate how the process works, as well as the many potential pitfalls.
This course qualifies for PTIN credit.
This event may be a rebroadcast of a live event and the instructor will be available to answer your questions either during or after the event.
- Discusses the calculation of basis when the entity is formed including the impact of contributed property.
- Explains the importance of shareholder loans to the entity.
- Uses a comprehensive example to illustrate the mechanics of the basis determination process.
- Discusses how basis is impacted by distributions of corporation property.
- Explains how basis is impacted by sale and/or liquidation of the S corporation interest.
- Shows how to get from the Schedule K-1 information to the basis calculations.