Rita Crundwell: Largest Municipal Theft in U.S. History
Saturday, December 8, 2018
Incredible story of how a high school graduate stole $53 MILLION from a town of 16,000 people with a $10 million budget.
This event may be a rebroadcast of a live event and the instructor will be available to answer your questions either during or after the event.
What you will learn:
- How to comply with independence requirements
- How to maintain professional skepticism
- How to comply with the requirement to be competent
- How to identify conflicts of interest
- Simple controls that would have deterred the theft
- The damage of a malpractice lawsuit
- A fraud so outrageous, it's a movie
- Were the auditors independent?
- How Crundwell evaded detection for 20 years
- Impact on CPAs' license
- How did the auditors assess risk?
- What audit procedures were performed, or not
- Fake documents Crundwell created
- Did the auditors detect the fraud?
- Actual court filings for the malpractice lawsuit
- What were the malpractice allegations?
- How much the fraud cost the auditors
- What happened to Crundwell's family