International Tax Lunch: Irrevocable Trusts are the Best Way to Own Real Estate (If You Are a Foreign Investor)
Friday, December 8, 2017
Irrevocable trusts offer the best of all possible worlds for tax efficiency: long-term capital gain tax rates when real estate is sold and protection from estate tax for the trust's assets. This session will show how irrevocable trusts (foreign or domestic) can be used by nonresident purchasers of U.S. real estate, whether for personal use or for investment.
- Recognize the tax benefits of irrevocable trusts compared to other real estate holding structures.
- Identify situations where an irrevocable trust will be useful.
- Determine whether it is possible to use portfolio interest lending structures with an irrevocable trust for a nonresident investor.
- U.S. taxation of nonresident investors in U.S. real estate.
- Using irrevocable trusts to eliminate estate tax exposure for U.S. real estate owned by nonresidents.
- How to create an irrevocable trust to hold U.S. real estate when you do not want to use an independent trustee.