Advising Clients of Social Security Benefits
Friday, December 8, 2017
Are you prepared for your baby boomer clients' questions regarding Social Security? Understand the factors clients must consider when deciding to begin their benefits. Learn the basics of Social Security, including planning strategies, to help clients make a plan and maximize their Social Security benefits. Increase your value to your clients and be proactive in helping them make this important decision by tapping into the knowledge of a 35-year veteran of the Social Security Administration.
- Recognize opportunities to increase Social Security benefits.
- Identify how to use information in the annual statement.
- Calculate taxable benefits, delayed retirement credits, and the effect of work for earnings not covered by Social Security (WEP and GPO).
- Determine how to advise clients regarding the earnings test and when to file for Medicare, and retiring clients concerning benefits.
- Identify ways to represent clients in Social Security matters.
- Social Security issues
- Retirement vs. disability
- Annual statement
- Taxation of benefits; Benefits calculation; Medicare benefits; Spousal and survivors benefits; Taking benefits early vs. later
- Full retirement age
- Strategies for single individuals, survivors and couples
- Windfall Elimination Provision and Government Pension Offset