Employment Law Update: Reducing Employer Liability
Friday, December 15, 2017
Employment law issues affect virtually every business, governmental entity, and not-for-profit organization. This update examines trends in employmentrelated claims and settlements including; members of protected classes and the implications of that membership; analysis of state trends in employment litigation; e-employment and cyber issues such as employee and employer social media rights; device and internet use and monitoring; employer liability issues for employee internet use; telecommuting and "off-the-clock" work issues; wrongful termination; bullying and its implications; harassment; and retaliation. This course also introduces you to the Employment Claim Risk Assessment Tool, which provides you a framework to analyze your organization's or your client's exposures to employment-related claims. TOPICS DISCUSSED Employment issues related to social media, e-device and bring your own device (BYOD), internet use, and website contents Wrongful termination, at-will employment, constructive discharge and retaliation Dealing with whistleblowers in all types of organizations Factors that lead to employers being sued for multi-million dollar verdicts in favor of former employees Using a risk assessment tool to assess employment claim exposures
- Interpret recent trends in employment claims and employer liability.
- Assess employment and cyber employment risks to your organization or a client's organization.
- Determine why retaliation claims and suits are increasing dramatically.
- Analyze factors leading to all types of harassment claims, including sexual harassment.
- Evaluate how wrongful termination claims fit in the framework of claims made in common employment suits.