Careers @ Delaware Nature Society
Director of Business & Finance
Posted on: February 6, 2019
Responsible for the financial management and reporting of the financial position and activity for a four site, environmental non-profit organization, with assets in excess of $40 million, a staff of 40, and an operating budget in excess of $4 million. Responsible for preparing and maintaining all Delaware Nature Society’s accounting records by managing the general ledger, sub-ledgers and overseeing the bookkeeper to assure accurate accounting and compliance with generally accepted accounting principles. Prepares financial reports to support management and report financial position and activity to external stakeholders. Works with the executive director to prepare the annual budget and salary plan. Safeguards the Society’s assets by enforcing sound internal controls, performing account reconciliation, and facilitating the annual audit. Performs tax reporting, property records, and vendor relations. Provides oversight of the Society’s investment positions.
Manages human resource programs and functions, maintains personnel records and policies and processes payroll. Coordinates services with benefit providers while keeping abreast of the state and federal regulations. Administers the Society’s benefit program and salary structure and conducts salary and benefits surveys every three years. Manages other business functions for the Society including (but not limited to) grant support, contract review and insurance and risk management. Manages financial planning for capital projects and facilities assessment.
Reports to the Society’s Executive Director. Supervises Bookkeeper, Facilities Manager and Database Manager. Works closely with Treasurer, Finance Committee, and Board of Directors.
• Bachelor’s degree in business or accounting with minimum ten years experience in the financial management of a nonprofit entity
• Hands on knowledge of non-profit accounting
• Monthly and annual P&L reporting, and monthly / quarterly project and grant reporting
• Competence with Abila MIP Fund Accounting and Microsoft Office suite
• Five years of Supervisory Experience
• Experience with Human Resources programs and procedures and benefit program management
• Knowledge of CRM (customer relationship management) software
• 15 to 20 years comparable experience
• Advanced degree and/or CPA
How to Apply
To Apply: Visit our website and apply online at
Or send cover letter, resume and completed Delaware Nature Society application to:
Delaware Nature Society
Attn: Nancy Steckel, Executive Assistant
P.O. Box 700
Hockessin, DE 19707